Treblinka lies just 50 miles northeast of Warsaw on the rail line of Warsaw to Bialystock. Established as part of the Aktion Reinhard in June 1942 the first transports arrived on July 22nd 1942. In between that July and 17th November 1943 more than 800,000 Jews lost their lives.
Today some 17000 symbolic tombstones are arranged around a central pillar, each jagged stone representing a town whose Jews were killed. Only one stone commemorates a single person, Janusz Korczak, who ran a Jewish orphanage in Warsaw and was sent to Treblinka and murdered with the children in July 1942.