Bełżec was one of the 3 Operation Reinhard Death Camps built by the SS for the purpose of eradicating Polish Jewry. The camp operated from 17 March 1942 to the end of June 1943. It was situated about 0.5 km south of the local railroad station of Bełżec, in the new Distrikt Lublin of the semi-colonial General Government territory of German-occupied Poland. Burning of corpses in the open continued until March 1943.
An estimated 600,000 Jews were murdered at Bełżec. This makes it the third deadliest extermination camp after Treblinka and Auschwitz. Only seven Jews performing slave labour with the camp’s Sonderkommando survived the war and only one of them became known. The lack of viable witnesses who could testify about the camp’s operation is the primary reason why Bełżec is so little known despite the enormous number of victims.
The memorial Site in Bełżec was founded in 2004 to document and commemorate the victims of the German death camp in Bełżec.